Difference between revisions of "2018 holiday parade"
(Starting 2019 entry. Added backlink.)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Latest revision as of 19:17, 7 November 2019
THIS IS FOR 2018. For 2019, go to the 2019 Holiday Parade.
We finished our first Parade entry as a Makerspace. The consensus is that it was a total success and that we need to replicate that success again for other parades.
For the 2018 entry, we hauled a large Fox.Build sign, covered in lights, pulled by Tim's truck, while Rick danced in the bed of the truck dressed as a fox.
This document will serve as a compendium of lessons learned for future generations of Fox.Builders.
* I was surprised that the float christmas lighting was adequate. It was above and beyond our expectations. * The current setup is the perfect springboard for more stuff. We're "good" now, so next year could be "great". * The Fox was a HUGE hit. If we do the St Pats thing, the fox gets an Irish hat and shamrock. * There were WAY more people than I anticipated. * Truck bed lighting with shop lights was extremely effective at illuminating the fox. * We looked better than most floats.
* Need better team notices and communication about meetings * Add music (must be holiday themed, "What Does the Fox Say" might be good for future non-holiday parades) * Fox needs tool belt/santa hat * Inverter + Deep discharge batter instead of battery? * Light up logo for the fox suit * Lights from above. * Mecatronic robot on the float * More stuff on trailer (candy cane?) * Sign on front of vehicle that says fox.build * Use old Fox.Build sign on next float? * Vehicle under carriage lights * We need glowsticks * Mark the ends of the light strings to make removal easier (harder job than imagined) * Maybe we can add some batting to the Fox so it looks fluffier and less like a middle-aged dad. * More "stuff" on the float, eg: Bender the Robot statue. * The call to action was worthless- we got 4 inquiry texts * The shop needs better / more battery powered hand tools. * There is no need to wear a jacket under that costume. It's hot in there! I was super sweaty by the end. * We need tape, zip ties, and all the same head on the screws we buy next year. * We could enter more than one float
* Build a coat of lights to drape over the truck? * Buy a light trailer. $300 at Harbor Freight, stored at Pat's house. * Hitch pin clip on the hitch was a disaster- get a replacement * Get spools for the lights we already have * Pat can store a float trailer at his house if we buy one. * Cool down the Fox with coldpacks inside costume * Cris might be able to help with the costume. * Find out if Batavia / Aurora / Geneva do parades? * Whirly gigs. OMG Whirly gigs. * We need to enter every parade in St. Charles. Thinking specifically of St Pat's. * We should see if there is a Holiday Lights parade committee and send a delegate. I think there's some insights we might gain if we get closer ties to the parade. * Vanessa may be able to be a comittee delegate (1000 XP)
* When is signup for St. Pat's parade?
St. Patty's Ideas:
* Have a build competition between floats. * $275 per entry * Make sure we are not next to our other float.